Sunday, November 20, 2011

Research Paper


"Within the context  of this new knowledge about the sperm, most sex preselection research is aimed at developing accurate and reliable sperm separation techniques (Merrick and Blank, 2003, p. 59).

Merrick, J. C., & Blank, R. H. (2003). Reproductive issues in America. California: ABC-CLIO, Inc.

I chose this source because it defines what sex selection is on a more fundamental basis. It talks about how the basis of sex selection started off, which I think is important. I am planning to use it to define sex selection, because I need a foundation of the paper before I start talking about both sides of the argument. The downside to it is it's short. It has good information, but I will need many more or much longer sources in order to better define sex selection.

"While the application of this technique to prevent sex-linked genetic disorders is now widespread, this method can also be used for preimplantation sex selection for social reasons (family balancing), and we report our experience with this technique for this purpose in India" (Malpani and Modi, 2002).

Malpani, A. & Modi, D. (2002). Preimplantation sex selection for family planning in India. Hum. Reprod., 17(1), 11-12. doi: 10.1093/humrep/17.1.11

I chose this source because it is an actual study done on people in India in which they use sex selection for family balancing. It shows that couples would naturally want a boy first, which I think is important to the research I am doing. I am going to use this article to show one side of the argument- that sex selection is bad. This article relates to that side of the controversy because they are afraid that most people are going to choose a boy as their first child, which was supported in this study. The downside to this source is that the part of it that is a primary source is very short. If I want to utilize the second part of the article, I would have to use it to find primary sources, which is a hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment